Saturday, January 21, 2012

Bountiful Baskets: Picked up My First Order!


Today was the first pick-up day for Bountiful Baskets here in Shawnee and I was not disappointed!

Here is a list of what I received - as pictured above (I weighed these myself when I got home, if the measurements seem kind of random - the number in parentheses is the actual number of each item I received, in case that's more useful to you than weight):

3 lb. (12) Fuji Apples
3.6 lb. (9) Bananas
3 lb. (7) Navel Oranges
1.75 lb. (3) Pomegranates (I've never actually eaten a pomegranate, kind of interested to try it!)
1.8 lb. (5) Pears
1 lb. (7) Kiwi
1 lb. (1 head) Leafy Greens
3.4 lb. (4 ears) Corn
3 lb. (3 heads) Broccoli
2.25 lb. (1 head) Cauliflower
1 lb. Brussel Sprouts
.78 lb. (2) Tomatoes

On a side note: if anyone has any great recipes using any of the above, let me know! :)

I know this isn't an entirely accurate way to look at it (as all produce is priced/sold differently), but that's a total of 25.58 lbs. of produce for $19.50 (the cost for a first-time buyer - in the future, the cost will be the basic $15 + $1.50 processing fee - so $16.50).  At the first-time buyer rate, that equals an average of $0.76/lb - and that's pretty amazing in my book!

So, if you weren't sure, I want you to know I would fully recommend checking it out.  This is a great way to incorporate more fruits and veggies into your diet at a very reasonable price (or the same amount you've been eating if you're healthier than I, but still at a much more reasonable rate than the grocery store).

If you want to be sure your produce is organic, you'll need to add $10 to the cost of your basket.  In addition, there are other add-ons, such as breads, you can choose to purchase when you place your order (or "contribute" as they call it).

The Co-Op operates every week, so you can keep a steady stream of produce in your home (or only "contribute" when you choose - you are not required to participate every time!).If you're wanting to jump on board, ordering takes place on Mondays, starting at noon, by visiting the Bountiful Baskets website.  Ordering is open until 8pm Tuesday evening, or until all baskets are claimed, whichever comes first.

You can read more about Bountiful Baskets in my post here or head directly to their website to read the FAQ's and information for New Participants.


2 comments:

  1. So glad to meet you today!  I am so glad you are satisfied with your basket! I have really enjoyed being apart of Bountiful Baskets!! Thank you so much for sharing.. Hope to see you and your precious newborn at the site in weeks to come!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was great to meet you, too!  I'm really glad I get to be a part of this and look forward to volunteering at some point in the future :)

    ReplyDelete